The End of the MCITP Certification
With the flurry of new technology and certifications coming out of Microsoft in 2012, one very important announcement was lost in the mix, the retirement of the MCITP designation. Buried on the Microsoft Learning web site, you’ll see quite a few asterisk’ed certifications and exams highlighting these changes that are right around the corner.
On July 31st, the following certifications and exams will disappear.
- MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008
- Exam 70 – 643, TS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring,
- Exam 70 – 647, Pro: Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator
- Exam 70 – 620, TS: Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client
- Exam 70 – 681, TS: Windows 7 and Office 2010, Deploying
- MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008
- MCITP: Virtualization Administrator on Windows Server 2008 R2 is not being retired but the exams underneath it are going away on July 31st (essentially this certification is being retired).
- Exam 70 – 669, TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Desktop Virtualization
- Exam 70 – 693, Pro: Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator
- Exam 70 – 652, TS: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuring
On the SQL server side of the world, the MCITP: SQL Server 2008 ends on July 31st.
- MCITP: Database Administrator 2008
- Exam 70 – 450, PRO: Designing, Optimizing and Maintaining a Database Administrative Solution Using Microsoft SQL Server 2008
- MCITP: Database Developer 2008
- Exam 70 – 433, TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Database Development
- Exam 70 – 451, PRO: Designing Database Solutions and Data Access Using Microsoft SQL Server 2008
- For Lync Server 2010, two exams are being retired which effectively means you can’t get the MCITP: Lync Server Administrator 2010 after July 31st.
- Exam 70 – 664, TS: Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Configuring
- Exam 70 – 665, PRO: Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Administrator
The retirement of MCITP certifications for Exchange Server 2012 and SharePoint 2010 have not been announced yet. And further down the road, the retirements will hit Windows 7 on January 31st, 2014.
- MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
- MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7
But it’s not as big of an impact since the exams will continue on and you will be able to earn the MCSA: Windows 7 instead.
If you’re on track for your MCITP: Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008, or Lync Server 2010, you need to get a move on! For certifications that are retiring, you must have all required exams passed by the retirement date. With a little bit less than four months before these certifications and exams are retired, it’s time to get studying. As we move into the era of the new Microsoft MCSE, don’t forget that they are not version-specific but solutions oriented and will require re-certification every three years. Best of luck on your studies and knocking out some of these exams before the July 31st retirement date!