Demand for skilled professionals is strong in many areas of IT as companies seek to address new demands, such as the growing use of cloud computing and mobile devices, while keeping hardware and software systems up-to-date.
Companies seek professionals who have hands-on experience with new and evolving technologies such as Windows 7, cloud computing, .NET 4.0, VMware, and mobile application development.
Requirements for certain IT positions vary across industries and regions, but firms are seeking the following types of candidates:
Systems and Networking Engineers
Professionals who are experts in cloud computing, Software as a Service, or virtualization are in demand. Those with combined skills in server, software, and networking are most sought after.
Those skilled in .NET Java, PHP, Silverlight, Flex, MySQL, and portal technologies, such as SharePoint, are in demand.
Quality Assurance Professionals and Business Analysts
With more dollars available for IT projects, managers focus on quality control and assembling more accurate project requirements. Quality assurance professionals can relieve developers so they can focus on coding, while business analysts can help build trust among stakeholders and serve as go-betweens for technology and business.
Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence Professionals
Firms need immediate information that can help them move their business in the right direction. That’s why they seek business intelligence and data warehousing professionals who can gather increasing amounts of data from various streams.
Data security and protection, especially in industries such as banking and healthcare, will continue to be an in-demand area within technology. In fact, 24 percent of ClOs polled by our firm cited security as their top professional concern.
In addition to specific job-related skills and capabilities, the following credentials are in demand:
- Cisco certifications — Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE)
- Linux certifications — Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
- Microsoft certifications — Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP), Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) and Microsoft Certified Professional Developer (MCPD)
- Project management certifications — Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Security certifications — Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Check Point Certified Security Administrator (CCSA) and Check Point Certified Security Expert (CCSE)
- VMware certification — VMware Certified Professional (VCP)
Reprinted with permission from the Robert Half Technology 2012 Salary Guide.