Having trouble getting IT to accept ITIL?
Almost everyone has heard of the idea that change can be hard to accept. This sentiment often holds true when an IT organization decides it wants to move toward an ITIL-focused operation model. A primary factor for the potential resistance is the cultural change that implementing ITIL usually requires – the culture of service management and providing business value to the people.
A recent ITSMWatch article by Kristy Smith recommends using the Eight Stages of Cultural Transformation by John Kotter to create a communication plan that will encourage buy-in and assist with the transition to ITIL. Kotter’s eight steps are:
- Establish a sense of urgency
- Create the guiding coalition
- Develop a vision and strategy
- Communicate the change vision
- Empower broad-based action
- Generate short-term wins
- Consolidate gains and produce more change
- Anchor new approaches in the culture
Read the full article for explanations on the eight steps and how you can more effectively encourage culture change via a communication plan.
Hurdlers photo from Wikimedia Commons